The importance of intention is beautifully expressed in the ancient Hindu holy book the Rig Veda, which states: “Resolutely follow and affirm your intentions, for they line the path that enables you to overcome all trials, tribulations, and suffering. Following and affirming your intentions is the true path that leads to genuine happiness.”
BY RICHARD MILLER
Here are 10 steps for building a meditation practice.
1. Set an intention
2. Align with the universal life force
3. Tap into a sense of unchanging well-being
4. Listen to your body
5. Listen to your breath
6. Welcome feelings and emotions
7. Welcome thoughts and beliefs
8. Find joy
9. Recognize our interconnectedness
10. Adopt meditation as a way of life
ABOUT OUR EXPERT
Richard Miller, PhD, is the founding president of the Integrative Restoration Institute (irest.us), co-founder of the International Association of Yoga Therapists, and author of iRest Meditation and Yoga Nidra. This is his first in a series of 10 columns designed to help you create a lasting and impactful meditation practice.